> Here is yet another approach... It is an API which has the concept of
> "opening" a song, getting 1 or more measures from it, and then "closing"
> the song. I think in terms of C and C++ so please forgive the
> syntactical
> stricnine.

I haven't thought this through very much, but my first impression is that
there are things that are important that are outside the measure, like the
time and key signature and ties that cross a bar line, so it would be
difficult to have an independant measure mean everything it needs to.

> This assumes defined objects ABCSong and ABCMeasure which I've invented
> surreptitiously.
> I'm thinking along these lines because I want an ABC parser that I can
> process a measure
> at a time. So this would be my initial stab at these needs; I don't
> know if this is ultimately
> what I need.

If the parser returned a structure that contained the entire song, you could
step through the various parts yourself, and pick out the measure you wanted
to process, while still being able to look at other elements as needed.

Paul Rosen
--- Life is a musical, every once in a while
      the plot stops and you start singing and dancing ---
http://home.earthlink.net/~paulerosen/brbb/
http://home.earthlink.net/~theplums/