On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Joseph Scheuhammer <cl...@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Btw, Joseph, I didn't really suggested to change GTK+ mappings :)
>>

> Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.  The point was that the mapping
> for placeholder for GTK (desktop) widgets is inconsistent with widgets in
> webpages, and that the HTML mapping spec is not backward compatible with
> that.

That might be ok. I even think that AT can have handle both scenarios by
same script. In Windows world there's no way (yet) to get a placeholder so
I can hardly see that being consistent with GTK+ as an option for them. If
we did that then we would regressed the web. Btw, is it a normal case in
GTK+ to have widgets with placeholder and no name?

> Put another way:  the proposed mapping of aria-placeholder is backward
> compatible with GTK mappings.

What is proposed mapping? placeholder object attribute and no
name/description? I'd say aria-placeholder should be rather compatible with
HTML5 placeholder than GTK.