a small change to make things clearer?

"However, in case of selection, when the user selects backwards (e.g.
pressing shift+left arrow in a text field), the start of the range is the
active point, as the user moves this to manipulate the selection."

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM, James Teh <ja...@nvaccess.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> The interface/method looks fine. Just one comment on the documentation:
>
> + * One of the range points is an anchor, a start of the range, and
> another one
> + * is a range end, which typically coincides with the user focus.
>

> I think we need to be careful about the words "start" and "end" here. In
> the usual case, anchor will be less than active. However, if the user is
> selecting backwards, active will be less than anchor. Even if active <
> anchor, I still see the lesser number as being the "start" of the "range".
> This is one of the reasons I preferred start, end and a boolean for the
> anchor/active determination, though I realise that seems like a pointless
> waste of bytes.
>
> Maybe we could say something like:
>
> The "anchor" is one point of the range and typically remains constant. The
> other point is the "active" point, which typically corresponds to the
> user's focus or point of interest. The user moves the active point to
> expand or collapse the range. In most cases, anchor is the start of the
> range and active is the end. However, when selecting backwards (e.g.
> pressing shift+left arrow in a text field), the start of the range is the
> active point, as the user moves this to manipulate the selection.
>

> The other problem is that unless you're dealing with something like
> selection, the terms anchor and active don't make a huge amount of sense,
> since neither point is the "anchor". I realise that selection is the
> primary use case, but it seems like this range struct is trying to be more
> generic than this.

we could name them start and end then, and document that in case of
selection 'start' is a selection anchor, 'end' is a active selection
boundary.