Jamie:

The key point is that ARIA-Details is a better and more capable
longdesc.

It's better because it utilizes an approach browsers support, and most
specifically, one they don't vehemently oppose.

It's more capable because it can be applied on any element. So, as an
example, we once again have a mechanism for a publisher to provide an
overview of a complex table, rather than requiring a user to navigate
the table and figure out cell by cell what the table does. The overview
is the first impact a sighted user has from seeing a table, but the
screen reader user would have to go cell by cell to figure out basic
structure. Just an example.

The UI should be the same as for longdesc. Once properly supported by
the browsers, it is expected to provide the same kind of interface via
the underlying browser engine, e.g. Webkit and Gecko.

hth

Janina

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:jan...@asterisk.rednote.net