I referred to relations as a concept, which is exposed via
IAccessibleRelation or accNavigate.

IA2 relations don't have to be expensive, IA2 provides
relationTargetsOfType which returns multiple targets for a relation type
and lighter version of IAccessibleRelation array. On the other hand,
IAccessibleRelation can be instantiated lazily too. Or do you mean that
some AT run through relations over and over and you have to maintain
up-to-dated data?

Magic values should work, however cellAt(0, n) or cellAt(n, 0) is either
confusing or not helpful if initial cells are missed. We could do negative
values (for example, -1 and -2 as we do for offsets), which is less
intuitive but less ambiguous.

Alex.