From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Chandrashekhar Kulkarni
Sent: 17 January 2017 10:32
To: accessindia
Subject: [AI] Problems relating to accessibility

Dear List Members,
I would like to draw your attention to various problems faced by all of us
regarding accessibility in banking and cashless transactions.
While some of us might be able  to avail of net banking and cashless
transaction to a great extent, in particular banks or apps,  I feel majority
of our community faces accessibility issues. Either we have to restrict
ourselves to certain banks, institutions or apps or deny ourselves the
benefit of cashless transactions.
After all the question to my mind is: if government is so keen about
introducing cashless transactions it must see that all banks and cashless
transactions are made accessible to each and everyone of us.
For e.g. the o t p generated by some banks is so complicated and the time
given is so short that it is hardly possible for a vi person with average
ability to enter it even on mobile. Many of the UPI apps are not accessible.
Hence one has to first find out which banking site or app is accessible.
After all I feel this is discrimination on the part of Government not to
extend all facilities to us just because of vision limitation. I would like
to give an example of CBI net banking which I recently joined. The bank give
only one minute time to enter the o t p which consists of both alphabets and
numbers which too are case sensative. With vowels in between talkback reads
it in very unusual way and by the time you switch over character navagation
mode the time gets over. Of course there is an option of grid but why should
we  restrict ourselves to only one option when other options are also
available. Further one has to carry his grid card details in accessible form
everywhere he goes or take help of sighted person which may not be available
always. This is just one example. There might be several such issues we
might be facing.
What I mean to say is we should pressurise the government to make necessary
changes in the systems so that all of them are usable. In the present
scenario of cashless transactions this has become all the more essential if
we want to avail of all the benefits of cashless transactions.
I therefore suggest we should frame a draft and post it on social media
which government will have to take note of if not immediately at least in
course of time. Please let me know your views on the matter.
Sincerely,
C. B. Kulkarni

--
Mobile +918080742446 Land line : 0251  2482633 skype ID:
chandrashekhar.b.kulkarni

ia.org.in

sent through this mailing list..