hi,

sorry i wasn't following this thread earlier, so not sure whether
you're looking for only a scanner, or something portable that will
also do the reading.
if u also want the reading then do check out the Eye Pal Ace reader,
which does both, the scanning and reading, and which u can get to see
at Karishma enterprises in Mumbai. it is very expensive though, around
75 thousand. and there also are a few issues with the after-service,
and the hardware after only a year of usage. but portability-wise, it
is the perfect thing to have. don't remember the exact config, but its
about 1 and a half kgs with i think a 10 inch screen. the lens is very
good for A-4 size pages, and they also now have Sangita, the Indian
accented tts as an option.
if u do consider this, then get in touch with me, i'll give you a few
points of warning about it, so that you are sure of things before you
invest in it.

best,

Shireen.