Dear Harish,

I fully agree with you about the need to be vigilant and watch out for
opportunities to move on.

But, we need to appreciate a few hard facts when it comes to job mobility in
India.  Indian demographics is fully loaded in favour of the twenty-somethings,
since they constitute about 50% of the population and employers prefer to have
them on rolls as they can put in longer hours.  By forty, these resources
become expendable for the company who can get fresh supplies of younger blood.
Here-in lies the trap of the contract system.  Instead of taking resources on
rolls, companies prefer to engage them on (fatter) contracts, dumping them at
their whim and pleasure.

This scenario of hiring and firing is OK in a mature market like the developed
nations, where tough laws guarantee certain rights to such employees and also
unemployment doles ensure they can meet their basic needs till another job
comes by.  In India, this could spell disaster to older, disabled or otherwise
disadvantaged resources.

My lawyer friends tell me that maintaining resources on long-term contracts is
itself an illegal act as per existing Indian law.  Let us not exonerate this
illegal act of these companies under the garb of right-sizing.

What we need is concerted action in creating awareness in regulatory bodies
about such mal-practices, legal action or legislation to prevent such
happenings and exposing of the sham of disabled-friendliness of such
publicity-crazy corporates.  Hope the issue is taken up with the same vigour
and solidarity as earlier issues like air travel discrimination and
examination-related problems.

Thanks and rgds

RS