Hope, I haven't exceeded the limits with my expressions.

Regards,

P. balaraman.

On 9/26/2011 11:08 AM, Prashant Ranjan Verma wrote:
Same is the situation for the Hindi TTS. The product that has been launched
is not usable for practical purposes.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Balaram
Sent: 26 September 2011 08:08
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] my observations of the newly released TTS.

Re: (Keralavision) Sachin Pilot releases Text-to- Speech System in six
Indian languages including Malayalam To say the least, it has become a
fashion these days for the non-governmental as well as governmental agencies
to launch half developed  products by VIP's like ministers and Give much
publicity through all the medias I don't understand what the visually
impaired comunity or any such group for that matter can benefit from such
half developed and more or less unusable software.
I can safely say this as I was one of the members of the Malayalam TTS
developing team.
I worked with CDAC for two months as tester and trainer and there were much
bugs and shortcomings in the TTS which I myself and the trainees expressed
yunanimously to the CDAC officials.
This was done a couple of months back and I don't think, they would have
fixed at least the bugs to launch the prodect still half developed.
In this context, I can't understand the importance or value of launching
such a product to which much modification and improvements were necessary.
It was told by the CDAC officials that, there will be a second face for the
development of this TTS.
We can all hope hoping against hope that, we will get something usable after
the promised second face.
However I am sure that, there will be another launching of the product in
some other pet names by some other VIP's and much media hipe if at all there
will be a second face.

Regards,

P. Balaraman.

Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm