From: Hannes Tschofenig
<hannes.tschofe...@arm.com<mailto:hannes.tschofe...@arm.com>>
Date: Thursday 8 February 2018 at 10:38
To: Göran Selander
<goran.selan...@ericsson.com<mailto:goran.selan...@ericsson.com>>,
"ace@ietf.org<mailto:ace@ietf.org>" <ace@ietf.org<mailto:ace@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: [Ace] Removal of the Client Token from ACE-OAuth draft

Hi Göran,

I haven’t posted the write-up yet since it is a submission to the workshop and
the papers are currently in review. As mentioned to you at the OMA meeting we
are currently attending the analysis revealed two issues, namely the lack of
stated goals (which makes any security analysis challenging) and the lack of
authentication from the client to the AS.

IMHO it is, however, only a small data point in this discussion.

I believe the more important question is whether there are people in interested
in this scenario or not. I have started my opinion about this already at
earlier meetings.

There is also the IPR disclosure that some folks may take into account, which
was posted to the list:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg02572.html

Since you have not posted your view on this topic yet you may want to think
about whether you consider the feature important for Ericsson. If you believe
it is important then maybe you could, as Carsten suggested, continue working on
the functionality in an independent document.

If you want to spend your time on it then I would recommend to do two things,
namely (a) specify what goals the mechanism is supposed to accomplish and (b)
build it on top of existing authentication and key exchange protocol. The
latter part is quite easy since lots of research was done on 3-party security
protocols and there are various protocols that fit the desired message
communication pattern. This could give higher confidence in the work.

Ciao
Hannes