It's not required to build the jar with maven, you have to provide a
project.xml with at least dependencies, id, name, currentVersion and
groupId.

But if you use maven everything is easier ;) just check "maven
create-upload-bundle"

There is a common directory layout that I've seen in almost every maven
project and you should consider althought is not mandatory. This improves
readability of maven projects.
src/java for java classes
src/conf for resources
src/test for test classes and test resources

In project.properties there are lots of properties not needed by maven. Also
those related to the build can be moved to build.properties (as debug=on)

> What is the best practise on which libraries we should be
> keeping in CVS now that we have a Maven build file?

When you have tested that everything works with maven I suggest to remove
those jars available at ibiblio (keep only those that I've sent you)

Also I have guessed some version numbers, but if everything works that
should be ok ;)

> Comments/feedback appreciated.
>
> Carlos, are you on the acegisecurity-developer list?

Yes