On 11/28/2016 06:37 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
> I actually thought you were the one that suggested we keep the
> "status" fields

Nope, I have always been in favor of not inlining the status fields. We
talked about this directly, but also it was in my previous PR and thread
about merging requirements and authorizations:

>> 3. "Inline" the authorization objects into the order/application
object, just as challenges are inlined into authorizations (while
still keeping them addressable, as challenges are)

> I don't see the need for this, and actually think it's a negative. GETs
are cheap for the client, especially with HTTP/2. Inlining like this
means there are two ways for a client to check the status of an
authorization: by polling the authz, or by polling the application /
order. We've seen in Boulder that having two ways to do things leads to
bugs, so I'd rather say you must poll the authorization.

> Also, for orders with lots of authz's in them, polling the order object
will be more expensive for the server than polling individual authzs,
because each poll of the order object has to reconstruct a larger number
of objects from the DB. When clients poll individual authzs, they only
check each authz until it is done, then stop.