From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 12:15 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Cc: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Elevating privileges from DA to EA

Hi All

I wanted to weigh in with two comments.
1) Elevating priveledges from DA to EA (or from physical DC access to
EA)
is simple - it takes about 45 minutes and unless you have some very good
active monitoring is difficult to detect.  There are automated tools out
there for doing this.  I have been known to use the term lazy EAs to
refer
to domain admins.

2) Replication boundaries is another reason for separate domains.  a
million objects can lead to huge DITs and very slow replication -
especially in a build a new DC case.  Separating that into multiple
domains
- to put smaller load on locations where bandwidth is an issue is worth
considering.  For example.
      90,000 users.  200 of those are in Alaska
      The rest of the world has good bandwidth, Alaska locations all
have
the equivalent of 56K modem speed.
      DIT and Sysvol size is about 7G, but for Alaska users there are
only
3 GPOs that affect them
      Rather then doing 1 domain I can put the 200 Alaska users in their
own domain.  Security wise, there is no advantage.  Replication wise,
the
Global Catalgue is a fraction the size of the full database, the Sysvol
never replicates anywhere in Alaska,            and replicaiton for that
domain will cause less strain on their bandwidth - 200 users will create
much lower amount of changes then 90,000 users.

Regards;

James R. Day
Active Directory Core Team
Office of the Chief Information Officer
National Park Service
202-230-2983
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Al Mulnick"

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             om>
             Sent by:                  ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
             ail.activedir.org

Subject
                                       Re: [ActiveDir] Elevating

             09/15/2006 11:34          privileges from DA to EA

             AM AST

             Please respond to

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                tivedir.org

I agree and add to that some additional thoughts:
Not long ago there was some conversation around a suggestion that
[EMAIL PROTECTED] put out regarding the idea of using multiple
forests
vs. domains in such a model.  Personally, I disagree with that
recommendation as given.  I think A LOT more additional information is
required before saying that, but I digress.

If you decide to use the multi-domain model, I have to assume that you
either have different password policies or a strong layer-8 contingent
driving things. If the latter, I hate it for you.

If you have a requirement to separate the domains from the forest, your
workload just went through the roof, and with that your costs.

Was it me I'd want to learn from my past mistakes ;0) and approach this
by
reversing the conversation.  By that I mean I'd want each potential
domain
owner to absolutely and in a detailed manner specify the functions they
need to execute.  From there, we'll encompass the rights needed for each
of
those functions. I think what you'll find is that you can do almost all
of
it with a single domain if different password policies are not needed
(mostly, but you know all of that anyway). From there, I'd be sure to
spell
all of that out the project sponsor because the costs (both ongoing and
up
front) can be significant.  The amount of complexity and issues with
other
directory based applications alone can be enough to put them off and
actually follow a recommendation such as this. The push obviously is to
get
as few actual DA's as possible.

Is the threat real? Yes.  If you feel you should have multiple domains,
chances are good you really need OU's and a better admin model that
includes less complexity and fewer moving parts.

Oh, one other thing that might be of interst to your planning group: ask
them about their restoration requirements.  In that model, restoration
can
be a bloody nightmare especially if the layer-8 issues are not resolved
up
front.

Al