From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin Brunson
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 2:03 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Elevating privileges from DA to EA

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS02-001.mspx discusses some elevation of privilege attacks.  It also links to another article that is supposed to have more details on SID filtering, which doesn’t seem to exist anymore.  All references I have found point only at NT4 and 2000 as susceptible to this kind of attack, and they have a patch to fix it.  So I guess 2003 is secure at least when it comes to the SIDHistory method.  There must be other ways of doing it, though.  I don’t know that they could possibly be “simple” if MS put out a patch to fix this particular hole way back in 02.  The referenced article (for those who don’t read it) calls for “a binary edit of the data structures that hold the SIDHistory information”.  Not exactly “candy from a baby” level, unless you happen to be a 3rd level black-belt in babies-canditsu.  But I’m sure someone with extreme skills could take on an unpatched 2000 domain without much trouble.  Either way, it looks like sidfiltering mitigates most of the risk.