From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Hargraves
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 12:22 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Elevating privileges from DA to EA

I agree with the people who are saying "Either trust all of them or none of them".  Realistically, unless you have a large environment (BTW, some people argue that all but maybe 10 Fortune 100 companies are 'medium' sized and the other 99.9999% of organizations are 'small'), there should only be a handful of people (3-7?) and some service accounts that require that level of rights.

Domain/Enterprise Admins are a tricky bunch and no matter what you do to us, we can take back whatever rights you took away from us very easily, then lock you and everyone else in the world out, destroy the on-site backups and demolish the environment to where it's going to take a major effort to get back to operational status.  This would take all take significantly less time than it would take for someone to figure out who is doing what.  I like Joe's recommendation of taking everyone that you don't need out of the admins groups and simply granting them various levels of rights with their account.  Possibly give everyone a user and admin account (user1234567 and user1234567a), heaven knows it would make troubleshooting a lot easier.

That being said, someone asking for their own regional forest?  Fine, as long as the person saying that it's necessary is willing to come up with the budget for the additional servers and additional personnel to support that forest and that they understand that they will have 0 admin level rights on anything in the 'main' forest, it wouldn't bother me, just one less thing that I have to worry about managing.  Oh yeah, and they have to pay for yearly audits to validate that they are meeting the corporate standards for security at all levels.

Then again, most of those items aren't usually my concern.  Thank God I'm not in management :D