Yup ..ntbackup backups up one server very nicely... you have multiple servers and want to group manage.. quad loaders and what not... also it does not do any encryption.. so if backup encryption is needed.. it's also not the solution for you.

Brian Desmond wrote:

I’m late on this thread, but I have a lot of experience with Backup exec.

First, as you noticed, Backup Exec is a real bitch about tape drivers, especially libraries. If you load the manufacturer’s instead of Veritas’ you will mess it up and the best solution is to wipe the box and try again. I have made this work numerous times with a variety of hardware small and large – BE does really work if you know how to tame the beast (which I have figured out how to do). I’ve dealt with a good many of the addons at some point or another including making it do backup over the SAN, work on cluster nodes, and many of the agents. Backup to disk was designed in a bit of a different way but it works once you figure it out. Another option I saw someone do is buy the falconstor iSCSI tape library emulator. It acts like a tape library to BE and under the hood writes to disk. This is expensive alternative to just making BE’s version of this work. It’s a good way to learn NetBackup though.

Personally and professionally as a consultant I would look at your situation and recommend Backup Exec, and a Dell branded LTO loader or whatever capacity is appropriate. I recommend/install a lot of that combination. Budget available I would also recommend a pizza box just for backups. I could likely pull this off spec you listed off for around 5 grand in materials, probably a bit more, not sure offhand.

NTBackup is nice for small jobs, IFM, and CYA, but no way I’m going to try and manage that in a multiserver environment.

SANs are fun, sounds too big and shiny for the numbers you listed.

Thanks,

Brian Desmond

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

c - 312.731.3132