MONAD for Exchange is supposed to fix that but I am expecting tremendous scaling issues in the environments I play in with it and quite frankly have even admitted that I would rather see WMI as it doesn't saturate the network lines passing data that isn't being requested.

I agree with you here. I've started playing with PowerShell, and was trying to prove that you could use the WinNT provider to someone. It took me ~5 minutes to get as far as C* when outputting all user objects in my domain. And we're only talking ~40,000 in this particular instance.

--Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 5:01 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] 100% CPU utilization when querying Win32_Account on DC

Oh I see that. On the flip side, companies that produce professional
products like x, y, and z[1] etc should have the skill sets to produce more
efficient and directed applications that don't have a reliance on those
abstraction layers and use the more efficient APIs in ways that are directly
relevant to the goals of the applications and that they have a greater
understanding of. Obviously someone may not have a super strong
understanding of the core APIs but at least there is only a single level
where problems can be introduced versus the multiple levels that can be
introduced in the abstractions such that you have to try and figure out at
what level the issue is at. Possibly if the abstraction layers had amazing
logging that could be enabled to track issues and explain what they are
translating the requests to at the lower levels it might be easier for
someone to identify where the issue cropped up.

One issue I see is someone who can write a basic vbscript based on these
frameworks think they are a programmer and start producing tools that they
sell. They have no understanding of the underpinnings of the overall system
and quite frankly, to scale things up, they really ought to, the
abstractions are not great in that arena and to be fair, I don't believe
they really were designed to be. It was more to get the masses so they could
do basic things. Another issue I see is when someone only published say a
WMI interface into something. I have that issue with Exchange 2000/2003 as
they really did a poor job with a lot of that from being poor performers to
not performing correctly at all. I took this up with the Exchange PSS
Support folks and finally got the great answer of WMI isn't designed to be
used for monitoring... How do you argue that point? Unfortunately the only
other recourse is to try and work through completely undocumented MAPI stuff and MAPI is already painful and sucky at best though it was designed to be a nice abstraction layer to make lives easier. MONAD for Exchange is supposed to fix that but I am expecting tremendous scaling issues in the environments
I play in with it and quite frankly have even admitted that I would rather
see WMI as it doesn't saturate the network lines passing data that isn't
being requested.

[1] Names withheld to protect the guilty.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

 _____