From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 9:13 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] _msdcs not propagated in AXFR

We install the Kitchen Sink service too don't forget....  ;-)

(wait until we start talking about the My Business OU...that's usually good for another freak out or two)

Laura A. Robinson wrote:
Small point- dcpromo creates those zones as mentioned in
the original
question *if* you have not configured DNS beforehand, *if*
you tell
dcpromo to go ahead and do it for you, and *if* you're building the forest root domain. If you have configured DNS beforehand, how the zones get created (as stub zones, as subdomains, etc.) will
depend on
that preconfiguration. If you're not building the forest
root domain,
the subdomain already exists and dcpromo is just populating it.

I bring this up only because there are many companies that have existing DNS infrastructures and it's important to know
that "default"
is not equivalent to "mandatory". It is not a requirement that the _msdcs zone be either a separate zone or a subdomain in an existing zone, whether it's a stub or a full zone, etc.

Of course, since we're talking SBS, all of this goes out the window (no pun intended). SBS is its own freaky little animal.

Laura