----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Amit Dogra 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 11:56 PM
  Subject: RE: [AP] AVI to DVD




  Hi Jeff,



  Thank you very much for this useful information. It seems you are an expert 
in video editing. I hope i dont annoy you by asking silly questions coz i'm 
very new to this editing world.



  As i said before i'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 and when i select File --> 
Export --> Adobe Media Encoder it gives me several option:

  MPEG1

  MPEG1-VCD

  MPEG2

  MPEG2-DVD <<<------BINGO!

  MPEG2-SVCD

  Quick Time

  Real Media

  Windows Media



  I wanna know which option should i select in order to prepare content 
suitable for buring a DVD that can be played on set top DVD player. If 
MPEG2-DVD is the option you were referring to in your mail then which sub 
option should i pick from this list:



  PAL DV High Quality 4MB VBR 2 Pass

  PAL DV High Quality 7MB CBR 1 Pass

  PAL DV High Quality 7MB VBR 2 Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1

  PAL DV Low Quality 4MB CBR 1 Pass

  PAL Progressive High Quality 4MB VBR 2 Pass

  PAL Progressive High Quality 7MB CBR 1 Pass

  -----Amit, the first thing I want to address is the concept of "two-pass 
encoding".
  The software makes a first pass and does some pre-calculating with regard to 
things like "motion estimation" and "scene changes" (plus a few other things 
that I am just learning about).
  Two-pass takes longer but for obvious reasons it is the better choice.
  Variable bit rate is...again, the sort of thing that can be used to address 
area with lots of fast motion. Motion is the sort of thing that tortures an 
MPEG codec, so variable bit rate allows the bit rate to be adjusted in order to 
maintain picture quality.

  In compression, bit rate is "almost everything".....and some folks say that 
it IS EVERYTHING. One thing is for sure, the more BITS you have the more detail 
you can express, but a bit rate that is too high can cause the file size to be 
too big for the blank disc you are working with and since you are working with 
"burned media" it can also cause problems with both the blank disc AND the 
PLAYER.
  Some brands of blank media can sustain very high bit rates and some cannot. 
Different people have different opinions on this because they have arrived with 
the perfect combination for THEIR COMPUTER and
  THEIR BURNER and THEIR PLAYERS. Careful research in other forums that 
specialize in DVD burning will help you arrive at the combination that works 
best for you.

  I personally have the best luck with MEMOREX and SONY DVD+Rw discs, but as 
the old saying goes...."YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY".
  If you go "ALL THE WAY TO THE WALL" and select something outrageous like 8MB 
and burn it at 4X or 8X there's a chance that either your blank media wont 
handle it or that your player will freak out at the bit rate or that the error 
rate will be too much at such a fast burn speed.

  On the other hand, if you select two-pass encoding and a 7MB variable bit 
rate and burn it at 1X or 2X on very good blank stock you might have no trouble 
at all, providing that you can fit your entire video on one disc at that bit 
rate. Remember, you only get 4.3 gigabytes on every "4.7 gigabyte" disc so your 
project has to be 4.3 GB or less INCLUDING your menus and other graphics which 
take up "OVERHEAD".
  This is why the Adobe Media Encoder has different selections and bit rates. 
  The best encoders will let you MANUALLY select ANY BIT RATE that you type in 
but the rates listed by Adobe are fine.
  (I once found a project that needed a high bit rate to maintain top quality 
picture but the 7MB rate made the file too LARGE. The encoder I was using 
allowed me to select 6.780 mbps and it was very close to 7 mbps and it allowed 
me to reduce the file size so that it just fit the disc perfectly.

  * I'm in India and we have PAL system against NTSC of USA and other 
countries.  "Against"?? ("Can't we all just get along?")

  All this is so confusing to me and i'm not able to select a proper option. I 
understand these options have different meanings and purpose but i just wanna 
select the most general kind of option out of these.

  ---Afraid there's no such thing as a "general option" at all, only options 
that "best fit" the needs of the piece and the hardware and software used.
  Don't be afraid to experiment with other DVD encoders out there.

  I am far from being an expert at DVD encoding. I've been editing for over 
twenty-five years and doing nonlinear for almost eight years steady (on and off 
in the past when it was in development).
  I am just now learning the finer points of encoding and there's still a lot 
that I do not know and I cant imagine what I would do without some of the other 
people on the list WHO ARE the experts.

  Please let me know how your project turns out.

  JeffH
  Ch.S.

  ----------

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.298 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 12/28/2004


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/ADr1lB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to