Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:25:05 -0000
   From: "jgh_78746" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Time compression for a long shot

We've all seen clips where a long period such as a day is compressed
down to a few seconds. Where you see the clouds move accross the sky,
and the sun go up and down. I would like to film a clip like this but
don't want to generate 6 or 8 MiniDV tapes full of stuff then apply
speed up to the clip and compress it down to a few seconds. And
besides that I don't wamt to take up the disk space for one clip. I
imagine you have to use some setting on the camera to enable the
shutter to operate at a very low speed and tape to slow down
accordingly or something like that. Has anyone got any good ideas for
this.  My camera is a Sony TRV20 and I have not been able to find a
suitable setting by looking at the operations manual.
********************************************************************
RESPONSE
Dear jgh78746,
The problem you have come across is one which besets most of us with amateur
video cameras. The classic way to solve this problem is to use film where
there is not too much problem with exposing a single frame at regular
intervals.
It is not possible to run a video camera slowly (slow down the tape from its
normal speed).
Unfortunately most amateur cameras only offer something called interval
recording where they can be set to record a short sequence of frames at
predetermined intervals. Unfortunately the 'short sequence' is usually at
least half a second's worth, i.e. 12-15 frames. This results in rather jerky
speeded up motion when replayed. I do not know of any amateur cameras which
are capable of recording a single frame at a time (which is what you want).
In the professional field I believe that cameras are becoming available
which can capture single frames at intervals, store them in RAM until it has
a certain number of frames saved and then dump them to tape or (XDCAM type)
disc say 6 at a time. In time this feature may appear on amateur cameras I
suppose but don't hold your breath.
I have heard that certain editing packages (I don't know which ones) can
capture a single frame at regular intervals from a recorded tape. If this is
true then it might be possible to record a tape using the 'interval record'
mode and capture bursts of, say, 12 frames every, say, 10 seconds, and then
set your edit program to capture every 12th frame from the tape. In that way
you would have captured one frame from each time the camera recorded. If
anyone on list knows of an edit program which would do this I would be
interested to know about it.

Julian
Bristol, England




 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to