Just to make sure that we are on the same page...
You have TSM installed on VM running on VMware. This VM has few LUNs
presented and those LUN are used for containers?

Short in the dark:
1. Check VM resources if they are as IBM TSM blue print.
2. Check LUNs/HDDs response time in perf. monitor. The response time should
around 20-30 Ms during the backup operating.
3. Do you know if those HDDd for LUNs are .vmdk or RDM (raw device map)?

Thank you!
Chavdar