Well, you miss some VERY interesting points here :-)

Typed data does NOT mean additional fields, not by default.

But it means for example changed functionality.

Take an accounting system. Account type can be a code that can determine
whether a certain transaction goes through or not - all other stored
data is identical.

With our solution, you can create account objects and have subtypes
depending on a specific value of a field.

We use this in our CMS - we have around 20 different container types, NO
additional fields.

But we can use reflection and attributes to see what subcontainer is
valid below another subcontainer. This allows me to ovverwrite functions
in the business object depending on data values - as long as you dont
load addiitonal data, performance losses are nonexistent.

As I said - I prefer to have compiler errors instead of runtime errors
:-)

But your dataset work is interesting - we go in different directions,
but your steps make PERFECT sense in the context of the way you are
going to :-)

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)