> As I said - I prefer to have compiler errors instead of runtime errors
> :-)

That is probably the only really compelling argument for typed datasets,
although the intellisense is pretty nice too.

I think this thread's concentration on an OR system really proves the point Ben
and I have been saying though.  We all understand a dataset is not a OR system.
 You could use a dataset in creating an OR and most people would benefit from
doing so if their needs are simple.  Everything discussed here probably falls
in that last 10% of use cases where it simply doesn't make sense to force a
dataset to do what it was not inteneded to do.

What is unique about the dataset and reflects it's heritage in the XML world
rather than the OO world, is that a UI can also understand it.  If your OO
logic implements the Memento pattern, you can fully retain encapsulation, and
still allow the use of datasets in your OR approach, however you decide to do
it.  On the front end however, you get large productivity gains and still fully
preserve the ability to allow your business objects to enforce rules, trigger
various processes etc..  One other thing I like about this approach is that
writing tests is so much easier.  Just create your instances with data
retrieved from a file in a dataset rather than from a db in a dataset. This
sourcre agnostic ability also plays into the as yet imaginary world where we
allow business partners to use our systems, possibly not even touching our
database through web services.