Stas Bekman wrote:
Frank Wiles wrote:

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:47:26 -0500
Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

for some reason we still don't have the numbers for Oct 2004 from
netcraft but regardless it's easy to see that the stats are getting
worse all the time:

http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/stats/securityspace.html
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/stats/netcraft.html

Isn't this probably caused in part by systems that don't have
'mod_perl' in their server signature and/or systems using a small
Apache front end with a mod_perl backend on another port?

You mean the decline is because more and more people move to the front-/back-end setup, and people aren't just moving to php?

I just noticed that by default, Fedore Core ships httpd.conf with this snippet:

#
# Don't give away too much information about all the subcomponents
# we are running.  Comment out this line if you don't mind remote sites
# finding out what major optional modules you are running
ServerTokens OS

So that certainly doesn't help numbers.

I just checked my system at home and it doesn't report "mod_perl" to NetCraft.

I think we discussed that earlier. If I remember correctly NetCraft can't scan ports (even the known ones) due to legal reasons.

Maybe we should put together a quick howto on fixing
that and suggest it on the mailing list?

Do you think it'll have any impact when we talk about hundreds of thousands of users who aren't on the list and will never reach our site?

What technique to help the scanners were you thinking about?

How about my X-Powered-By suggestion for a while ago ?

http://perl.apache.org/advocacy/issues.html#X_Powered_By