My cost of doing business was lower, which is why I did it. Maybe yours
isn't. I will say it was a management push on my part to enforce policies
that got everyone on ACH if possible. ACH was free, CC wasn't. As a result,
maybe we had a more general cross section of our customer base on ACH that
you so we didn't huge differences.
And I guess that's why people do it differently. Your experience wasn't
mine. But if mine was 5 times worse I would still find it compelling from a
monetary viewpoint. But, it really wasn't an issue for us from the PITA
point of view because the software handled most of it. Maybe your customer
base was significantly different than mine. We also got a big kick in ACH
enrollment because a bunch of the banks in our area used the same "Bill
Pay" check printing service. As we got one envelope with 150 checks in it
for different accounts, all listing something stupid like ISP as the
account number, and on top of that, payment was made late. The inevitable
calls came in about why they were charged late fees, they scheduled it
payed a week ahead of deadlines, etc. We would have to explain that we
could show them the postmark, the date on the check, etc. Customer would
say "they took the money out of my account on ...". Our pitch was always
that if they let us pull the money via ACH we wouldn't charge them and they
could never be assessed a late fee if we did the ACH. That got a bunch. But
again, our experiences seem to be quite different.

I just put the possibility of contested CC out there. I don't think we ever
had anyone contest a charge. Maybe once on an install. I don't remember it
if we did. But in my experience, that possibility was roughly the same as
my chances of losing more money doing ACH than CC.

In the end, that is what's great about this place right? I don't have to do
it like you and vice versa.