On the same subject in our NOC we have a APC AP7723 AC transfer switch.
Has two AC inputs and if one fails automatically switches to the other.
Handy when doing maintenance on the UPS system.  Would like something like
that for when we use a generator at a remote site we can plug one input
into generator and other into AC power.  The idea is that hopefully when
the generator runs out of fuel power might be back on and save an urgent
trip to switch over.  Was thinking there should be something cheaper and
smaller than the APC unit?

This only applies to our small sites and rare extended outage.  Most our
main sites have a ~50 gallon propane tank and small generac with transfer
switch.