punji sticks...

On 01/04/2019 02:18 PM, ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
If the sh*t really hits the fan, better already have your food. Rice and beans are cheap. 5 gal buckets. Store a year’s worth really easy. Water will be the #1 concern, then guns to protect your beans and rice. I have solar that pumps my water now. My house is foam/concrete. It really never gets super cold in the basement. I can move into my theater room and survive nicely without extra heat. Beans and rice will eventually get soft in cold water. Toilet paper would be my next big concern. I have plenty of books. I guess I need some more TP and a tripod mounted 50 cal machine gun for my balcony.
Land mines anyone?
*From:* justsumname
*Sent:* Friday, January 4, 2019 2:45 PM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Y'all out there?
oh if only I were doing something as exciting as building a tower site in a glacier on top a big mountain in Utah...!

I just happened across a 'deal' on 4 12v 100aH AGMs (Universal Battery) and added them to my 'prepper' stash. (disclaimer: a real prepper would call me a beginner or a moron, depending upon my politics). Having successfully survived this long, I have made it down my list far enough to "get prepared for more than a few days outage". I own a gasoline generator and I've never used it, but, if the sun burps wrong and we lose 'the grid' forever, "we" will eventually run outta gas. Either way, I won't be runnin-and-gunnin' my way to the gas station. And it seems awfully damn handy to have at least SOME electricity when the world has NONE. It's much too pricey to put the entire house "off grid", but maybe I could put ... oh ... the freezer and fridge off the grid. Or something. And maybe have an outlet to spare. Turns out, my 2017 freezer and 2012 fridge together use an average of 74watts according to the KillAWatt gadget (which is in series with grid power at this time). It's rather depressing that my 4 batts will power those two only for a day+ with "no sun". I own a 100w mono panel and a cheapo eBay PWM charge controller, but I've been going mental trying to pick an inverter and charger and it sounds like I need more panels and possibly the smartest charge controller I can find (probably not MPPT as I gots no trees nearby). It would be much less expensive to just go ahead and die, but that just doesn't seem right. Living without any electrical power will be quite an adjustment, but if I can hunt food and store it, cut and burn wood (electric saw) and collect rainwater (and clean it up)... this computer nerd might just live long enough to see what comes next.
---