From: "Adam Moffett" <dmmoff...@gmail.com>
To: af@af.afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:59:16 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Real threat

Incidentally I just got exposed to some details about a Verizon 5G build.
They're putting a microcell on a pole every 1500 feet.
Every. 1500. Feet. This happens to be a distributed antenna system where
they're using RFOG to bring the signal from a central base station to each of
these microcells. Each one is fed by a 12 fiber ribbon, so it's a 288 count
cable running down the road from cell to cell.

My mind was blown. The money they must be dumping into this 5G thing is so
great that it's hard to understand why they prefer that over Fiber to the prem.
Service drops are hard? Or demand for mobile capacity is really that huge?