Yeah I think there's truth to both statements.  You'll lose something like 15db per 100 meters of foliage you're passing through.  No technological miracle is going to make that attenuation go away.  The difference in my reckoning is that most products would deliver crappy service when there's crappy signal, whereas Wimax stepped that up to /mediocre/ service on a crappy signal.  LTE is another incremental improvement over that.

After several years of firmware upgrades our Telrad stuff is more or less working//ok, you just need to temper your expectations on capacity....claims of 200mbps with carrier aggregation and MU-MIMO have a lot of caveats.  Our problems with Telrad basically boil down to over complexity, stability, reliability, and our expectations being set too high by some overzealous marketing claims.  As far as NLOS, it does work better than most of the other options out there.....it's basically a one trick pony in that regard.  It works nLOS, but you must carefully define "works".

-Adam

On 8/20/2019 8:57 AM, Josh Baird wrote:
Quite the opposite for us.  PMP320 could burn through trees!

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:30 AM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

    WiMAX had little to no magical power against trees when we
    deployed it.  Trees apparently are hype resistant.  YMMV.

    *From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com
    <mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com>> *On Behalf Of *Paul McCall
    *Sent:* Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:22 AM
    *To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com
    <mailto:af@af.afmug.com>>
    *Subject:* [AFMUG] Cambium Medusa in 3.65

    We were told recently by Cambium that their Medusa product in 3.65
    competes favorable with LTE competitors.  We ONLY need it for tree
    penetration challenged customers.

    I have a healthy skepticism on 3.65 Medusa being able to magically
    work better that standard 2.4 Ghz penetration, seeing the regular
    450SM in 3.65 performed as expected compared to a 2.4 Ghz 450SM,
    meaning not as well.  Seeing that LTE or Wimax far exceeds normal
    2.4 Ghz gear, expecting 3.65 in 450 series (even Medusa) is a
    strong leap of faith.

    We are open minded but skeptical of these recent claims.  We are
    not happy with the LTE options available ATM, having field tested
    Baicells and Bliniq for a while now.

    Paul

    *Paul McCall, President *

    *Florida Broadband / PDMNet*