Sounds like he is looking for lead generation?

I assume he has ruled out (or is already doing) advertising like online, direct
mail, billboards, etc.  Not sure how a salesperson would approach this, given
that small businesses generally hate cold calls.  And knocking on doors won’t
be feasible in an area the size of Pennsylvania.

Maybe instead of hiring a salesperson, find a marketing/advertising firm that
specializes in online advertising.  It seems that getting your name to pop up
in the web browsers of the right people in the right geographic area should
generate some leads, and evidently you are good at converting leads to sales.

My impression was always that the key to the SMB market was partnering with the
computer and network consultants, since most companies outsource their IT work
these days.  “Partnering” being a euphemism for paying commissions.  If you
don’t pay a spiff and maybe a residual if they renew, some other ISP will and
that’s who they’ll recommend to their clients.