For CBRS, depending on antenna and channel size, yes it's probably legal.  When I went to that Telrad training session a few years ago, CBRS was still a hypothetical thing and everyone there was operating under an NN license with the 1W/Mhz EIRP limit.

And yeah that's how ALL wireless works.  At the moment in time when the AP is talking to a station at 1Mbps, the capacity of the channel is 1Mbps.  At the moment in time when the AP is talking to a station at 300Mbps, the capacity is 300Mbps.  The average capacity over time is going to be a function of how much time is spent talking to each station at each rate.  If you literally had one at 1Mbps and one at 300Mbps and both were allocated equal airtime then your capacity would be 150.5Mbps.  It's true that a 5Mbps UE won't make the capacity of the eNB 5Mbps, but it is true that while the channel is being used to talk to that UE, the channel is only running at 5Mbps.  My point was, if someone is testing with a single UE and happy that they're getting 5Mbps, then they're forgetting that they won't actually get 5Mbps when there are other UE operating at the same time, and that the weak connections they install are weakening efficiency of the whole sector.  I know you know this, I think you're just misinterpreting what I said.