I either had a phone call or a job offer from Dr. Viterbi once upon a time.  I
was pretty gob smacked.  Don’t fully remember the details but I do remember the
room I was in and the phone I was on when taking the call.

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:54 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Licensed backhaul pricing - still ridiculous

I did a little searching with the Google and found this excellent and quite
readable history of channel coding, with some nice graphs illustrating how
close current technology has come to the Shannon bound, see for example Figure
12.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/cs/0611112.pdf

I actually took a Coding Theory course from one of the authors, Daniel
Costello, when he was a professor at IIT.

I am fascinated by coding theory because some of the revolutionary developments
like convolutional coding, Viterbi decoding, and turbo codes are quite recent.
As the article notes, modern turbo codes come within less than 1 dB of the
Shannon bound.