If you have the space and power/heat budget for it, a 6503E with dual sup32 and a 16-port WS-X6516 GBIC blade can be built for under $1200-1400, giving you 32 ports of modular gigE...

choose AC or DC power. The AC power 2700W power supplies and PEMs (power entry modules) are still somewhat expensive in the resale market.

I have put 6503E on plywood backboards in condo MDFs using decent 4U rackmount brackets.