I don't think the thing about only being able to subscribe through Apple
devices is true... it says on the HBO now website that you can subscribe
through itunes.

How do I get HBO NOW℠ and access content?

You can subscribe to HBO NOW℠ using your iTunes account. Customers can
access HBO NOW℠ by going to HBONOW.com, through AppleTV® or by downloading
the HBO NOW℠ app in the Apple App Store®.