On the subject Lewis brings up...

There are a variety of battery charging schemes:

Single Stage, Two Stage, and Three Stage.

The very short version of this:

Single Stage - usually a float charger, low amperage, fixed voltage. Not intended to supply current to a load. Very slow to recharge batteries. When used to power a load as well as charge batteries will usually leave batteries undercharged. May also cause poor equipment operation when AC is restored after an extended outage as the DC voltage will rise slowly - this can cause unpredictable operation of attached network equipment.

Two Stage - High(er) voltage and current to charge battery, float voltage after fully charging battery. Usually dangerous to your batteries when also powering a load - the charger can't tell the difference between the current going into the batteries versus into the load. The charger always thinks the batteries are still bulk charging and leaves the voltage too high and will cook the batteries.

Three Stage - Similar to two stage but also includes a boost voltage above the bulk charge to equalize the voltage in all of the batteries. Can also cook batteries when trying to supply load current.

Best version - a 3 stage charger with separate current sensing for the load and battery current, along with temperature monitoring of the batteries. This allows the charger to know how much current the batteries are consuming so that it can determine charge state accurately. Temperature compensation is to adjust the float voltage for temperature.

Mark