I have always preferred sneakers with soft soles over any sort of boot.
....except when it comes to heat. A flat black roof can burn you through your sneakers.
I was on a 12/12 yesterday. I wear Danner boots. They have an awesome tread, and are also stiff enough for tower work. They tear the hell out of hot shingles though if you twist your foot at all.