I guess you could call the functionality I'm looking for more of the
"Repeater" or "Mesh" operation, but with NAT in the middle.....

I.E. today you can, add a virtual AP to a Mikrotik device, so it looks like
two devices.   I'm looking for the functionality where you can add both a
'wireless AP' and 'client bridge' to the same device.  Yes, I know all
about the whole 'speed getting slower with WDS/mess issue, etc.), but in
this case it doesn't really matter since the traffic is going to be next to
nothing.

It seems that most hardware and/or drivers will only permit you to be in
"AP" or "Client" mode.   Like I said, I swear I've seen a device which
actually works in both at the same time with the same radio - either that
or some small device which has two radios in it.

Otherwise, I'll just go the separate AP and client bridge route.

-forrest

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Josh Luthman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Ether1/poe in pulls DHCP and gets your Internet
>
> bridge1 (ether2/wlan0) is 172.16.0.1/24 and gets NATed
>
> What are you missing?
>
>
> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Maybe.   I'm actually probably going to buy one of those and the mAP just
>> to play with.  I have some ideas.
>>
>> I swear I've seen something which was designed to connect to a hotspot,
>> then NAT the hotspot connection and deliver it through both AP and wired
>> modes.   You know, so you could connect your wired and wireless devices on
>> what appears to be a single connection.     I probably need 2 (usable) or 3
>> (great) Ethernet ports.
>>
>> -forrest
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Josh Luthman <[email protected]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Can you use this and a POE switch? http://routerboard.com/RBmAP2n
>>>
>>>
>>> Josh Luthman
>>> Office: 937-552-2340
>>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>>> 1100 Wayne St
>>> Suite 1337
>>> Troy, OH 45373
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Question for those of you who deal with WiFi devices a lot more than I
>>>> do:
>>>>
>>>> I am in the market for a small WiFi access point which I can use
>>>> primarily to connect a small Ethernet network to wireless devices (tablets,
>>>> phones).  This is a trade show application - aka 2-3 Ethernet demo devices
>>>> attached via WiFi.   I'm looking for small, light, and although battery
>>>> would be nice occasionally, "wall power" is a must, even if it is just
>>>> leave it plugged into the charger while operating.  I'm going to be flying
>>>> with this device so I don't want something large and clunky.
>>>>
>>>> Bonus for a device which will also act as a wifi client/nat router at
>>>> the same time....  aka act as a "WISP client" AND at the same time act as
>>>> an AP.   Not sure if this exists or is even possible with current
>>>> hardware.....   If not, if there's a teensy wisp client out there with
>>>> ethernet for this type of application, feel free to point me there...
>>>>
>>>> My fallback position is probably a RB951, although the new hAP light
>>>> product is intriguing (not sure if it is even shipping yet).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> *Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
>>>> Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
>>>> [email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
>>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>
>>>> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>  <http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> *Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
>> Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
>> [email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>
>> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>  <http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
>>
>>
>


-- 
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
[email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>

Reply via email to