Nope, nothing personal. Discussion is great, new ideas can come from it.

As far as the Grandstream phones, we can't tell the customer, sorry, these won't work, you have to buy 10-20 new ones, Polycom, Snom, whatever it may be. If I was the customer, I'd be saying the same thing.. that's not my problem because you sold them to me. The reseller says, nope, you have to work with Grandstream support, and they are completely right. So we're stuck in the middle looking like assholes to the customer.

I'll give this to Cambium 2.0, they are definitely more responsive and paying attention.

On 6/7/2015 1:57 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
Please don't take this personal, just take it as constructive criticism....

>>Trying to get the guys to remember to add a bunch of rules in a radio probably won't happen.

I think you may have a QC / installation process issue (aka provisioning), which you are trying to compensate for.

>>Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't touch the network and I won't have to kill you.

Instead of taking this stance, I suggest you look into how to make changes without someone screwing up something else by mistake.
(hint.. changing stuff via scripts is one way to do this).

>>>It took them a YEAR to fix the stuff we showed them was broken in their software! But no, we're the asshole to the customer which forces us to hack shit to make it work, and then it's still not up to the customer's expectations.

Why are you/your customers insisting on using GrandStream phone ?

Just another suggestion:-
We would much rather run a 'standard' based network, and not customize these types of settings on the Radios.. If we ran into this type of a situation, we would offer a managed router service (free or nominal charge), and or use a mikrotik router as a dmarc on the customer prem, and do all the funny business customization on that.

Regards


Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

    *From: *"George Skorup" <[email protected]>
    *To: *[email protected]
    *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:24:36 PM
    *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

    Right. As I said, I've never had to change any of the DiffServ
    code points on any Canopy radio. Trying to get the guys to
    remember to add a bunch of rules in a radio probably won't happen.
    It's easier for me to tell them to just turn on HP. Maybe I'm a
    nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't touch the network
    and I won't have to kill you.

    Anyway.. the new Grandstream firmware, how awesome is this.. the
    SIP QoS default is DSCP 26, which is LP on Canopy. Knowing that, I
    DO NOT want the guys touching the DiffServ code points in the
    radios. It's easier to configure the phones with SIP DSCP 12 and
    RTP DSCP 46. To accommodate the stupid/broken devices, I already
    have other rules on the network that prioritizes SIP as 12 and RTP
    as 46. I like standards. OK, my standards.

    On 6/7/2015 12:59 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

        Works on Canopy, though.


        Josh Luthman
        Office: 937-552-2340
        Direct: 937-552-2343
        1100 Wayne St
        Suite 1337
        Troy, OH 45373

        On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Mike Hammett <[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

            Having only half listened to the thread, it sounds like
            broken Grandstream VoIP is broke on ePMP.



            -----
            Mike Hammett
            Intelligent Computing Solutions
            http://www.ics-il.com

            
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

            Midwest Internet Exchange
            http://www.midwest-ix.com

            
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
            *From: *"Josh Luthman" <[email protected]
            <mailto:[email protected]>>
            *To: *[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
            *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:54:29 PM

            *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

            For this use case (QoS on VoIP):

            Cambium Canopy works
            Cambium ePMP does not work

            Seems that simple to me.


            Josh Luthman
            Office: 937-552-2340 <tel:937-552-2340>
            Direct: 937-552-2343 <tel:937-552-2343>
            1100 Wayne St
            Suite 1337
            Troy, OH 45373

            On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz
            <[email protected]
            <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

                BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is 1.0.4.23 (did
                a google search), and the admin manual shows two
                settings for L3 QOS (one for SIP and one for RTP)

                EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default settings to
                over-ride to your taste.

                If I understand your 'complaint' you are dealing with
                f**ed up GrandStream Phones, and you want Cambium to
                Change the Default handling of VOIP QoS to match your
                needs ?

                Now that does not make any logical sense...

                The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is perfectly
                fine for all of the other devices which follow the
                industry standard of  VOIP/Video packet marking.

                Unless there is something that I am totally missing, I
                think you are taking out your frustrations with
                GrandStream on Cambium !

                :)


                Faisal Imtiaz
                Snappy Internet & Telecom
                7266 SW 48 Street
                Miami, FL 33155
                Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232 <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>

                Help-desk: (305)663-5518 <tel:%28305%29663-5518>
                Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

                ----- Original Message -----
                > From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]
                <mailto:[email protected]>>
                > To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                > Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
                > Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
                >
                > The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we have
                mostly 2160s and some
                > 30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it contains
                a security fix. I
                > have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck on that
                because of it.
                > We're running an internal engineering build on some
                phones with fixes
                > for their screwed up SIP message handling and
                corrupt outgoing messages.
                > Some phones we have not upgraded from 1.0.3.9
                because it mostly works.
                > None of those firmwares allows separate SIP and RTP
                QOS. We're doing
                > testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our switch
                vendor currently,
                > which does do the split QoS. About half of the bug
                fixes listed in the
                > .21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have to wait
                and see what other
                > shit is broken now.
                >
                > But besides all that, I have other phones and ATAs
                (both Grandstream and
                > not) that refuse to send SIP with anything other
                than DSCP12, even when
                > it's configurable. I don't really care if SIP is
                sent with AF and RTP as
                > EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should be
                higher priority than SIP
                > anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports this just
                fine. So as far as
                > the network is concerned, I have to support AF and
                EF, and I'm fine with
                > that. All I was saying is that Cambium should do
                this out of the box on
                > ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is what
                happens on Canopy when
                > you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46 end up
                in the HP channel.
                >
                > On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
                > > I don't know what grandstream devices you are
                looking at, but 21xx series
                > > and the other Linux and android based phones don't
                have that issue.
                > > Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such as the
                6104. Screenshots
                > > attached.
                > >
                > > On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup
                <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
                > >> I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy does.
                DSCP12/AF is sent over the
                > >> HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ table
                and see for yourself.
                > >> Many managed switches are set up exactly the same
                way, except they have
                > >> more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and HP.
                Well, there's LP CIR, but
                > >> lets not get into that. ePMP just has "priority"
                which I assume means
                > >> priority over everything else.
                > >>
                > >> I need a way to correct stupid manufacturer's
                mistakes (Grandstream
                > >> being the worst offender). Lots of their devices
                ALWAYS send SIP packets
                > >> as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or the
                other one I mentioned, the
                > >> GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this changes
                both SIP and RTP. I'm
                > >> disgusted with their stupidity, but unfortunately
                it has to be supported
                > >> because those devices aren't going away.
                > >>
                > >> It's totally doable and Cambium could add it by
                default, saving me time
                > >> configuring every radio with it. Or just make
                DiffServ on ePMP
                > >> work/configure like Canopy.
                > >>
                > >> I don't care what's wrong or right. I care about
                shit working right now
                > >> and customers not being pissy.
                > >>
                > >> So the burden falls on the network as usual. It's
                always our fault.
                > >> Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't
                murdered people. If I drank,
                > >> it would probably happen. And I'm finding myself
                agreeing with that one
                > >> guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity has no
                limit.
                > >>
                > >> On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
                > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured
                Forwarding) in addition to
                > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default
                VoIP priority
                > >>>> configuration.
                > >>> That would be a mistake and the wrong thing to do.
                > >>>
                > >>>> We're finding more devices sending SIP packets
                as AF and
                > >>>> RTP as EF.
                > >>> When a device is mis-configured, why should the
                burden of dealing with
                > >>> that mis-configurtion as a default fall on
                another device
                > >>>
                > >>> There is plenty of flexibility to override the
                wrong setup of a device,
                > >>> if that is they way you want to correct it in
                your radios...
                > >>> (Which by all standards would be the wrong way
                to fix it...but more power
                > >>> to you).
                > >>>
                > >>> Two wrongs don't make a right..
                > >>>
                > >>>
                > >>> Regards.
                > >>>
                > >>>
                > >>> Faisal Imtiaz
                > >>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
                > >>> 7266 SW 48 Street
                > >>> Miami, FL 33155
                > >>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
                <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>
                > >>>
                > >>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 <tel:%28305%29663-5518>
                Option 2 or Email: [email protected]
                > >>>
                > >>> ----- Original Message -----
                > >>>> From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]
                <mailto:[email protected]>>
                > >>>> To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                > >>>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
                > >>>> Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
                > >>>>
                > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured
                Forwarding) in addition to
                > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default
                VoIP priority
                > >>>> configuration. We're finding more devices
                sending SIP packets as AF and
                > >>>> RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and out-of-band
                signaling (prompts, etc)
                > >>>> are sent as SIP messages so sometimes these are
                getting dropped, not to
                > >>>> mention registrations, invites, etc. And more
                devices are stupid (mostly
                > >>>> Grandstream), they only let you set ONE
                priority value for the entire
                > >>>> device. These are coming default as DSCP12/AF.
                I've tried to get
                > >>>> everyone to change this to 46, but they don't
                remember.
                > >>>>
                > >>>> Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ table.
                We've never had to change
                > >>>> any of those code points. Turn HP on, it just
                works.
                > >>>>
                >
                >







Reply via email to