In the phone, or the PBX?

Also note this it intermittent, the password works maybe 50-70% of the time.


From: Faisal Imtiaz 
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2015 4:39 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: [AFMUG] Freepbx / Cisco SPA504G

>>.Even the IVR selections once you are into voicemail work fine.  In the logs, 
>>we will see something like you enter 1234 but it thinks you only enterred 12. 

What is your dialplan string look like....



Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232


Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected] 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: "Ken Hohhof" <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]
  Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 5:29:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS


  I typically use Cisco SPA504G.  Now if someone could just tell me why FreePBX 
always detects the DTMF correctly for dialing but the voicemail module keeps 
claiming you enterred the wrong password.  No amount of playing with the 
RFC2833 related options makes any difference, and like I say it is only the 
voicemail password that gets interpreted wrong.  Even the IVR selections once 
you are into voicemail work fine.  In the logs, we will see something like you 
enter 1234 but it thinks you only enterred 12.

  I view it as a broken phone issue, because you can only listen to the robot 
lady say “Password Incorrect ... Password” so many times before you smash the 
phone, and now it’s definitely broken.

  And I can see why people want to use Grandstream, price is one, and they have 
a lot of fancy phones with features and big color screens whereas Cisco phones 
look just like they did 10 years ago.  Banks seem to love Cisco phones.  
Another brand I see deployed, I assume because of price, is Yealink.


  From: Faisal Imtiaz
  Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2015 4:17 PM
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

  So I gather you are not the VOIP service provider ?  but you sold them the 
phones ?

  Additional out of the box suggestion...
  If you are / were the VOIP service provider, (i.e you have a revenue stream 
coming from it), and or you are responsible for maintaining them.....  You 
could potentially consider, offering an upgrade / trade in or even replace so 
that you don't have to deal with the heartburn related to GrandStream firmware 
to a better phone....

  e.g some of the better quality phones  polycom's, snom, linksys, cisco etc  
go for a song on the secondary markets..


  Faisal Imtiaz
  Snappy Internet & Telecom
  7266 SW 48 Street
  Miami, FL 33155
  Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232


  Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected] 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:26:22 PM
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS


    Nope, nothing personal. Discussion is great, new ideas can come from it.


    As far as the Grandstream phones, we can't tell the customer, sorry, these 
won't work, you have to buy 10-20 new ones, Polycom, Snom, whatever it may be. 
If I was the customer, I'd be saying the same thing.. that's not my problem 
because you sold them to me. The reseller says, nope, you have to work with 
Grandstream support, and they are completely right. So we're stuck in the 
middle looking like assholes to the customer.


    I'll give this to Cambium 2.0, they are definitely more responsive and 
paying attention.


    On 6/7/2015 1:57 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

      Please don't take this personal, just take it as constructive 
criticism....

      >>Trying to get the guys to remember to add a bunch of rules in a radio 
probably won't happen.

      I think you may have a QC / installation  process issue (aka 
provisioning), which you are trying to compensate for.

      >>Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't touch the 
network and I won't have to kill you.

      Instead of taking this stance, I suggest you look into how to make 
changes without someone screwing up something else by mistake.
      (hint.. changing stuff via scripts is one way to do this).

      >>>It took them a YEAR to fix the stuff we showed them was broken in 
their software! But no, we're the asshole to the customer which forces us to 
hack shit to make it work, and then it's still not up to the customer's 
expectations.

      Why are you/your customers insisting on using GrandStream phone ?

      Just another suggestion:-
      We would much rather run a 'standard' based network, and not customize 
these types of settings on the Radios.. If we ran into this type of a 
situation, we would offer a managed router service (free or nominal charge), 
and or use a mikrotik router as a dmarc on the customer prem, and do all the 
funny business customization on that.

      Regards


      Faisal Imtiaz
      Snappy Internet & Telecom
      7266 SW 48 Street
      Miami, FL 33155
      Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232


      Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected] 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------

        From: "George Skorup" mailto:[email protected]
        To: [email protected]
        Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:24:36 PM
        Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS


        Right. As I said, I've never had to change any of the DiffServ code 
points on any Canopy radio. Trying to get the guys to remember to add a bunch 
of rules in a radio probably won't happen. It's easier for me to tell them to 
just turn on HP. Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't 
touch the network and I won't have to kill you.


        Anyway.. the new Grandstream firmware, how awesome is this.. the SIP 
QoS default is DSCP 26, which is LP on Canopy. Knowing that, I DO NOT want the 
guys touching the DiffServ code points in the radios. It's easier to configure 
the phones with SIP DSCP 12 and RTP DSCP 46. To accommodate the stupid/broken 
devices, I already have other rules on the network that prioritizes SIP as 12 
and RTP as 46. I like standards. OK, my standards.


        On 6/7/2015 12:59 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

          Works on Canopy, though.


          Josh Luthman
          Office: 937-552-2340
          Direct: 937-552-2343
          1100 Wayne St
          Suite 1337
          Troy, OH 45373

          On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Mike Hammett <[email protected]> wrote:

            Having only half listened to the thread, it sounds like broken 
Grandstream VoIP is broke on ePMP.




            -----
            Mike Hammett
            Intelligent Computing Solutions
            http://www.ics-il.com



            Midwest Internet Exchange
            http://www.midwest-ix.com




--------------------------------------------------------------------

            From: "Josh Luthman" <[email protected]>
            To: [email protected]
            Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:54:29 PM 

            Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS


            For this use case (QoS on VoIP): 

            Cambium Canopy works 
            Cambium ePMP does not work

            Seems that simple to me.


            Josh Luthman
            Office: 937-552-2340
            Direct: 937-552-2343
            1100 Wayne St
            Suite 1337
            Troy, OH 45373

            On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz 
<[email protected]> wrote:

              BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is 1.0.4.23 (did a google 
search), and the admin manual shows two settings for L3 QOS (one for SIP and 
one for RTP)


              EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default settings to over-ride 
to your taste.


              If I understand your 'complaint' you are dealing with f**ed up 
GrandStream Phones, and you want Cambium to Change the Default handling of VOIP 
QoS to match your needs ?


              Now that does not make any logical sense...


              The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is perfectly fine for all 
of the other devices which follow the industry standard of  VOIP/Video packet 
marking.


              Unless there is something that I am totally missing, I think you 
are taking out your frustrations with GrandStream on Cambium !


              :)



              Faisal Imtiaz
              Snappy Internet & Telecom
              7266 SW 48 Street
              Miami, FL 33155
              Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232


              Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: 
[email protected]


              ----- Original Message -----
              > From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
              > To: [email protected]
              > Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
              > Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
              >

              > The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we have mostly 2160s 
and some
              > 30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it contains a security 
fix. I
              > have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck on that because of 
it.
              > We're running an internal engineering build on some phones with 
fixes
              > for their screwed up SIP message handling and corrupt outgoing 
messages.
              > Some phones we have not upgraded from 1.0.3.9 because it mostly 
works.
              > None of those firmwares allows separate SIP and RTP QOS. We're 
doing
              > testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our switch vendor 
currently,
              > which does do the split QoS. About half of the bug fixes listed 
in the
              > .21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have to wait and see what 
other
              > shit is broken now.
              >
              > But besides all that, I have other phones and ATAs (both 
Grandstream and
              > not) that refuse to send SIP with anything other than DSCP12, 
even when
              > it's configurable. I don't really care if SIP is sent with AF 
and RTP as
              > EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should be higher priority 
than SIP
              > anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports this just fine. So as 
far as
              > the network is concerned, I have to support AF and EF, and I'm 
fine with
              > that. All I was saying is that Cambium should do this out of 
the box on
              > ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is what happens on 
Canopy when
              > you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46 end up in the HP 
channel.
              >
              > On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
              > > I don't know what grandstream devices you are looking at, but 
21xx series
              > > and the other Linux and android based phones don't have that 
issue.
              > > Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such as the 6104. 
Screenshots
              > > attached.
              > >
              > > On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup <[email protected]> 
wrote:

              > >> I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy does. DSCP12/AF is 
sent over the
              > >> HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ table and see for 
yourself.
              > >> Many managed switches are set up exactly the same way, 
except they have
              > >> more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and HP. Well, there's 
LP CIR, but
              > >> lets not get into that. ePMP just has "priority" which I 
assume means
              > >> priority over everything else.
              > >>
              > >> I need a way to correct stupid manufacturer's mistakes 
(Grandstream
              > >> being the worst offender). Lots of their devices ALWAYS send 
SIP packets
              > >> as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or the other one I 
mentioned, the
              > >> GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this changes both SIP 
and RTP. I'm
              > >> disgusted with their stupidity, but unfortunately it has to 
be supported
              > >> because those devices aren't going away.
              > >>
              > >> It's totally doable and Cambium could add it by default, 
saving me time
              > >> configuring every radio with it. Or just make DiffServ on 
ePMP
              > >> work/configure like Canopy.
              > >>
              > >> I don't care what's wrong or right. I care about shit 
working right now
              > >> and customers not being pissy.
              > >>
              > >> So the burden falls on the network as usual. It's always our 
fault.
              > >> Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't murdered people. 
If I drank,
              > >> it would probably happen. And I'm finding myself agreeing 
with that one
              > >> guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity has no limit.
              > >>
              > >> On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
              > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) 
in addition to
              > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
              > >>>> configuration.
              > >>> That would be a mistake and the wrong thing to do.
              > >>>
              > >>>> We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF and
              > >>>> RTP as EF.
              > >>> When a device is mis-configured, why should the burden of 
dealing with
              > >>> that mis-configurtion as a default fall on another device
              > >>>
              > >>> There is plenty of flexibility to override the wrong setup 
of a device,
              > >>> if that is they way you want to correct it in your radios...
              > >>> (Which by all standards would be the wrong way to fix 
it...but more power
              > >>> to you).
              > >>>
              > >>> Two wrongs don't make a right..
              > >>>
              > >>>
              > >>> Regards.
              > >>>
              > >>>
              > >>> Faisal Imtiaz
              > >>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
              > >>> 7266 SW 48 Street
              > >>> Miami, FL 33155
              > >>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
              > >>>
              > >>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: 
[email protected]
              > >>>
              > >>> ----- Original Message -----
              > >>>> From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
              > >>>> To: [email protected]
              > >>>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
              > >>>> Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
              > >>>>
              > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) 
in addition to
              > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
              > >>>> configuration. We're finding more devices sending SIP 
packets as AF and
              > >>>> RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and out-of-band signaling 
(prompts, etc)
              > >>>> are sent as SIP messages so sometimes these are getting 
dropped, not to
              > >>>> mention registrations, invites, etc. And more devices are 
stupid (mostly
              > >>>> Grandstream), they only let you set ONE priority value for 
the entire
              > >>>> device. These are coming default as DSCP12/AF. I've tried 
to get
              > >>>> everyone to change this to 46, but they don't remember.
              > >>>>
              > >>>> Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ table. We've never 
had to change
              > >>>> any of those code points. Turn HP on, it just works.
              > >>>>
              >
              >










Reply via email to