camium isn't known for their centralized management of anything being a
good investment

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Josh Baird <[email protected]> wrote:

> .. again, no comments about the Cambium cnPilot stuff?  Even from WISPs
> that primarily use Cambium gear?
>
> Sounds like a decent feature set; PoE, ATA, centralized management, dual
> band, etc.  Haven't seen any in action, but at least it sounds promising.
>
> On Oct 7, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Glen Waldrop <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I've had the Netgear 3700 series completely blow out the 2.4GHz band for
> 60 seconds every 5 minutes, two different ones. Not sure of the exact
> model, been a little while since I fooled with one.
>
> MT assured us on the forum that they are seeking UNII certifications. I'm
> not banking on it and buying a ton of their hardware based on a promise,
> but I'm keeping a few on hand for specific shots.
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* Ken Hohhof <[email protected]>
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 07, 2015 12:49 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?
>
> If a customer insists on a recommendation, I say every router you can buy
> in the store has problems, but the least problematic seems to be Netgear as
> long as you get at least a 3000 series.  I have seen a high field failure
> rate on the WNR2000, and they can die a slow lingering flakey death rather
> than just falling over dead.  Probably a WNDR3700 if you want gigabit and
> 3400 if you don’t.  Some customers get to the store and get a 4500 because
> it’s on sale or $10 more.  I like having gigabit ports but many customers
> these days don’t have a single wired device.  The Netgear routers come with
> the WiFi already secured, they can be set to wireless access point mode,
> and they have a lifetime warranty (but who is going to go through the
> trouble).  On the downside some laptops with Intel 802.11ac WiFi refuse to
> play nice with the Netgears, and the PPPoE default has to be changed from
> dial on demand.
>
> I will no longer sell routers to customers, many years of bad
> experiences.  But I will lease a managed Mikrotik (a nice one – typically a
> RB951G-2HnD or RB2011) for $5/month including free replacement.  I won’t
> sell a Mikrotik to a customer for them to manage unless the customer is an
> IT professional.
>
> This does mean I don’t have a dual band (much less 802.11ac) managed
> router solution.  Given our rural customer base, the 2.4 only WiFi usually
> works out better than dual band.  Occasionally I wish for dual band so we
> could segregate some weak WiFi clients (like Dropcams) onto their own
> band.  Mikrotik doesn’t seem to want to deal with getting equipment FCC
> approved in 5 GHz.
>
> Some of the routers customers have bought that have been problematic:
> Cradlepoint, Securifi, Amped Wireless (at least the range extenders).
>
>
> *From:* Brett A Mansfield <[email protected]>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:30 AM
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?
>
> I've had very bad luck with Belkin, D-Link, Asus (the worst), linksys, and
> low end netgear. I've had great success with the higher end netgear and the
> 3rd through 5th gen Apple AirPort Extreme. Prior to the 3rd gen and the 6th
> gen (latest) airports are junk. So I'm with you, pretty much every consumer
> grade router is trash now.
>
> Thank you,
> Brett A Mansfield
>
> On Oct 7, 2015, at 9:58 AM, Glen Waldrop <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Are there any consumer routers that don't suck these days?
>
> I used to recommend Linksys/Cisco, but since the Belkin buyout quality
> seems to be going down. They jink with teh firewall and I can't block
> specific outgoing traffic, can't remote admin anymore, etc...
>
>


-- 
If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your team as
part of yourself you have already failed as part of the team.

Reply via email to