Not sure what history books you are reading, but On June 5, 1933, the
United States went off the gold standard, a monetary system in which
currency is backed by gold, when Congress enacted a joint resolution
nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold. The United
States had been on a gold standard since 1879, except for an embargo on
gold exports during World War I, but bank failures during the Great
Depression of the 1930s frightened the public into hoarding gold, making
the policy untenable.

The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when
President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer
convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the
gold standard. In 1974, President Gerald Ford signed legislation that
permitted Americans again to own gold bullion.