From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Ken Hohhof
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:35 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] OT - alternative to VZ voicemail

I have a Motorola RAZR Maxx HD phone and depend heavily on Verizon's "Visual
Voicemail" (although I'd sure like to increase the 40 message limit).

VZ was sending me these confusing text messages about $2.99 Visual Voicemail
going away and the replacement Visual Voicemail would be the same but free or
something, I couldn't decipher what they were trying to tell me.

Well, today my voicemail reverted to standard VM where you have to dial *86 and step
through the messages one at a time using the voice prompts.  That just won't work for me.
 After about 10 minutes on hold with VZ customer support, they discovered the alerts
should have said "our outsourced voicemail vendor will stop supporting your
device".  So one option would be to buy a new phone.

Anybody have another suggestion?  Is there a third party app in the Google Play
store that would work with VZ voicemail?  The VZ support rep implied that might
be the case but VZ wouldn't support it.

Or is there some kind of spiffy third party voicemail service that I could set
up my phone to forward to when busy or unavailable (a lot of my VZ calls seem
to go straight to VM without the phone ever ringing)?  With an Android app, and
maybe lots of cool features and storage for more than 40 messages?

Or am I stuck buying a new phone just to get a working voicemail app?

(Obviously the phone is more than 2 years old, but I won't sign a 2 year
contract for a phone anymore, if they even do that.  I would end up buying the
new phone outright, so not talking chump change.)