Good to know, thanks.
In Canopy FSK I remember getting re-regs from people on the side of a
sector...seemingly regardless of how hot their RSSI was. In Wimax I
sometimes see fluctuations of 5-10db in the same circumstance.
I guess I'm just reaching for explanations.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Chuck McCown" <[email protected]>
To: "Animal Farm" <[email protected]>
Sent: 9/20/2016 1:00:47 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Antenna side lobes...do they move much?
They would be rock solid if nothing is moving in the nearfield of the
antenna. However your particular antenna will have lobes in slightly
different positions and magnitudes. The plot you get is the antenna
that was hand tweaked and tested on the range. Production models vary
a bit from antenna to antenna.
This is kind of like the pattern your headlights cast on your garage
door. You will see bands and irregularities on the edges of the light
pattern. They really don’t move but are a function of how the light
was sealed together.
From:Adam Moffett
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:57 AM
To:Animal Farm
Subject: [AFMUG] Antenna side lobes...do they move much?
My question is about the polar plot for a sector antenna where you see
tiny lobes coming off it. Such as in between the rear lobe and the
main lobe there might be several tiny lobes. I've always thought RSSI
was unstable when you hit the sector from a weird direction like that.
If I could see the radiation pattern in realtime would those lobes be
stationary or would they dance around a little?
I'm just looking for an underlying reason for things I've seen in the
field, and maybe a real justification to use when I tell people not to
do that.