So, I rarely order hot dogs from portillos when I visit chicago.

Or italian beef.

What do I order?  "Tamales".   Portillos "Tamales".   Note how I provided
suitable quotes around "Tamales".   That's because chicago "Tamales" are
not Tamales.  Still good.  Kinda like Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is not
Pizza.  Still very yummy, but in a different category altogether.  What I
call tamales are hand rolled and as you stated : made by someone's Aunt.
And what I call pizza is made without a pan in an oven which is helliously
hot, and has red sauce and mozzarella and absolutely no weird 'healthy"
vegetables.

I discovered Chicago "tamales" by accident when attempting to find a
italian beef sandwich somewhere other than downtown, and somewhere had
tamales.   Tamales at a beef & hotdog place?  That's odd... gotta order
some.  Turned out better than the beef.   Note to self:  Mr Beef and Pizza
on North Harlem:  Great steamed mini Chicago "Tamales", not so great on the
beef.   After that, I have tried them various places, and they're almost
always good.   Not the same as a good Tamale, but still yummy.

What else do I eat when I'm in Chicagoland?

Chicago style hot dogs from numerous places - gotta have a Vienna beef hot
dog, and everything else authentic.  If the relish doesn't glow in the
dark, I don't want it.   Skip the sport peppers though.   I get it, but I'm
just not into the whole sport peppers thing.  Definitely no ketchup.

Italian beef ideally from Mr Beef on Orleans, but that's way down town.
And last time I ended up down there it was on a weekend day when they were
closed.   :(   A couple years back I flew into Midway, drove downtown, ate
beef, then drove back out to Schaumberg where my hotel is.  I've found
acceptable substitutes elsewhere, but they're not as good.   Oh, and in
case anyone asks, I like 'em Sweet and Wet or even better, Sweet and
Dipped, depending on how messy I want to be.

Chili 4-way from steak-n-shake.   Ok, it's really 5-way hold the onions,
but still....     Wish I had discovered this whole dish when WISPAMERICA
was in Covington before I was at the airport on the way out of town, as I
would have tried it at a few different places.

Oh, and back on "Tamales".... If I can find a box of original supreme-brand
"tamales" in a freezer section somewhere on my way out of town (to the
airport), often a box will end up stuck right in the middle of my checked
bag.  They seem to keep just fine on the flight home that way.   These
happen to be the same variety as the ones that Mr Beef on North Harlem
sells, just a bit larger.   The other brand of Chicago frozen tamales are
spicier and I don't like them as well so they have to be supreme brand.
Rumour has it that Portillos at least used to use the Supreme "tamales" as
well, but I'm not so sure they still do (they taste a bit different).
Wouldn't surprise me if they decided to "roll their own".

What did I miss?

Oh, deep dish pizza - I really like Lou's crust, and Giordano's filling -
if I could get these together somewhere I'd be in heaven.  Still need to do
some research...  Usually there's two deep dish pizza nights whenever I
visit - one experimental, and one toss-up between the two I mentioned.

Probably missed something else.  Darn, now I'm hungry for a lot of stuff
which is 2000 miles away.   I had hoped that at least there would be a
Steak n shake near downtown in Nashville since I've been having a chili
4-way craving for some time now, but no, they're like 20 miles out of town
and I'm not going to have a rental car this time.  Looks like there's a
deep dish pizza place near the hotel that serves italian beef too.. maybe
will give it a try in a couple of weeks.

Oh, yeah, I'm also known to visit a white castle now and again.  I
shouldn't like the little nasty hamburgers, but I do.   Looks like there's
one in Nashville also...  unfortunately my significant other despises them
so maybe I'll have to sneak down when she's not looking.

-forrest

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM, That One Guy /sarcasm <
thatoneguyst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand this portillos craze. I like hot dogs, I like real ones
> better, but I'm not going to go full under an overpass craziness over one
> like everybody seems to be on portillos. Do these come with a handjob or
> something nobody is talking about?
>
> On Feb 24, 2017 11:53 PM, "George Skorup" <george.sko...@cbcast.com>
> wrote:
>
> I had Portillo's for dinner. Nanananabooboo.
>

> On 2/24/2017 11:14 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
>
> Our local place gives you a choice of refried beans or black beans, I
> always take the black beans.
>

> Refried beans seem like you should check them with a Geiger counter.

*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>