And this is where things get weird and why he's still around.

The answer to these questions is - yes.

He will respond to an outage regardless of where he is or what he's doing.

He has responded to problems on days off.

He honestly seems like he WANTS to do things. But possibly lacks the ability to
do things.

Some things can be taught. Others can't. I'm just struggling to make sure I'm
making the right decision.