In this discussion should we have it, a history of the first cellular
networks their evolution and when the industry started to explode would need
to be laid out.  Starting from the early 80's on up through. This is
important because as Gino has suggested, the WISP industry is following a
very similar path and has always suffered from brand/product image,
recognition and understanding. Cellular phones back then suffered the same
problem. The word cellular was understood as a biology term by most. The
term "Car Phones" was better understood and only those who had a lot of
money had those and it was a party line system with no privacy. People had
them out of extreme necessity only. The concept of anyone other than the
phone company being able to deliver a phone service would not have ever
seemed possible to a consumer. At that time the breakup of Ma Bell was just
happening. A person could easily start a cellular network, no spectrum
auctions back then. Just apply to the FCC and pay the license fees.

Of an interesting side note, I had the opportunity to be working on a
consulting project for AT&T in Portland Oregon years ago, we had to review
leases, zoning approvals and other documents to determine if sites could be
expanded and what work was required for same. Sometimes leases mentioned
specific frequencies and antennas etc. so they might have to be renegotiated
or modified to add data and new frequencies and antennas. In this process I
had my hands on Craig McCaw's first 4 cell tower leases on his first built
cellular system. It was very cool to be holding that piece of history, his
personal signature and all. Such an innovator that hadn't hit his stride
yet.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com