Very true. It would make no sense at all with private funding. ROI in 25+ years, and nobody would invest in that when better returns are available. We're getting a grant from NY State.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Josh Reynolds" <j...@kyneticwifi.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 2/11/2018 11:59:17 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Outdoor PON OLT

If you're looking to do a few houses per mile, it's very likely that fiber doesn't make sense at all.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 9:24 PM, Adam Moffett <dmmoff...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking at rural areas (like a few houses per mile). As I'm looking at hypothetical power budgets for PON, I'm finding that if I run the line down the road and put splitters on the pole I can split 5-6 times and then I'm getting too low on db to keep going down the road. At 5 or so houses per port, a 1U, 8 port ONT is no denser than a 1U switch.

Your stated reasons for PON are all correct. The numbers just aren't seeming to work out for me.

I also figure if I install enough fibers for AE, I can still switch to PON some day if I want to.

We would never max out the PON port, but looking back on the past 15 years of growth in consumption I wonder if I should ever say "never". In AE I can put 100Gig in every house if I have to. I'll "never" have to do that as far as I can imagine, but my imagination could be limited.

-Adam