From: Mark - Myakka Technologies
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:29 PM
To: Chuck McCown
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Outdoor PON OLT

Chuck,

Dug up some of my costs on the GPON.  One port with a C+ class laser and a 1x32
splitter cost me about $1000.

So if I stick with my 50% utilization numbers, that gets me about $62 per user.
 Plus an indoor ONT gets me about $200-$225 per customer for electronics.  As I
increase my utilization, the numbers get better.  But, we are only talking a
different in a few months on the ROI.  Remember we are debating fiber.  I have
ONT's out there over 72 months old.  I'm sure Chuck has some at least 2 or 3
years older than that.  I don't plan on any type of major upgrade for several
years.

But I must stress there is no right answer.  AE vs GPON.  You need to make sure
you fully understand both options before making a decision.  Not to mention,
you can run both.  We are setup to do AE,  We currently have 2 customers on the
AE side for various reasons vs 2500 on the GPON side.

--
Best regards,
Mark                            mailto:m...@mailmt.com

Myakka Technologies, Inc.
www.MyakkaTech.com

------

     When doing full throttle Calix GPON we have about $570 invested in cpe
electronics, splitter, ont/olt/onu etc.  Everything but fiber and outdoor
cabinets.

      When doing active Ethernet you can come in closer to $100 per customer.
      For non regulated greenfield, I am having a hard time convincing myself
to do PON.