Feminist Media Studies 3(3) Criticism and Commentary
Section
Deadline:    23 May 2003
Length:     1,000-1,500 words (5-6 pages typed,
double-spaced)

The World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) is
holding its first meeting later this year in Geneva,
with a follow-up conference in Tunisia in 2005.
Working under the aegis of the United Nations, this
global body seeks to address issues that are of
immediate relevance to scholars in the field of
communication: the 'new world order' created by global
flows of information, the impact of IT on the first
world-third world configuration, the information gap
and its effects on practices of democratic governance
and civil society formations, and numerous other
related topics.

Given this timely consideration of the role and place
of IT in our lives, we now seek to identify the
various ways in which gender is implicated in this
brave new world, using the criticism and commentary
section to highlight gender as a crucial variable in
this debate.  Too often discussions of such global
topics are enveloped by wide-ranging and global policy
concerns, where such a focus tends to ignore the real
and material effects that policy has on the lives of
women and men.  Therefore, we want to highlight the
ways in which gender is implicated in both information
technology processes and in the access to and use of
IT. In other words, through a focus on gender we want
to render visible the opportunities and challenges
afforded by the development of the Information Society
and explore the ways in which the rhetoric of
empowerment masks the perpetuation of existing gender
hierarchies.
We are seeking short papers which address any aspect
of gender and ICTs, along the lines of our interest
identified above. There are numerous examples from
developing world countries that highlight the positive
outcomes of information technology on individual
women's lives.  For instance, the Grameen Phone
initiative in Bangladesh has offered new avenues of
economic empowerment for rural women.  Similarly,
téléboutiques in Senegal and Morocco, and phone shops
in Ghana have helped some women bridge the digital
divide and participate more actively in male-dominated
arenas of civil society.  Notwithstanding the utopian
vistas opened up by new information technologies,
especially in the economic arena, there are numerous
difficulties which the WSIS must also confront.  These
include the obstacles to women's access to ICTs, the
specific ways in which women are mobilized within
circuits of cyber-trafficking and pornography; and the
impact of new information-gathering techniques on
women's work (women's participation in data entry
jobs, teleworking, the digital glass ceiling, etc.).
Issues of universal and equitable access and the use
of IT in public health, particularly around HIV/AIDS,
gain new salience in discussions of democratic
governance in the Information Society.
The deadline for this call is 23 May  - please submit
your contributions by email attachment to both of us.
If you would like to discuss submitting a contribution
to this volume, please email us at:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We look forward to receiving your essays in --.
Please pass on this CFP to anyone you think might be
interested in contributing.  As always, please feel
free to submit book or film reviews which you think
would be of interest to the FMS readership.  The
following website contains the style guideline for
Feminist Media Studies:
http://tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/r-authors/fmsauth.pdf

=====
Boulou E. de B'beri - http://boulou.fr.st - Editor: Ecritures dans les cinemas
d'Afrique noire, CINEMAS, V0l.11-No.1 - Director & Producer: Looking for my Pygmalion:
Mémoires - http://www.drm-associations-management.org/film%20english.htm