I apologize for the stridency of my reply, but the statement that ANN or
CNN can recognize objects better than 99.98% better than humans is an
obvious over-generalization. CNN's have shown some pretty impressive
results and I am not disputing that, but the overgeneralization is
extremely misleading. Do a search for "cat" in google images, then do a
search for "box". Spectacular results! Do a search for "cats jumping out of
a box" and the results are disappointing. And yet this just requires a
recognition of a combination of visual objects with one simple verb and one
simple preposition. And prepositions are the low-hanging fruit of
conceptual grammar. Of course the google programmers could react to my
criticism and make sure that they train a system to recognize variations of
the pseudo-root phrase, "cat jump out of box" but they haven't done so the
last time I checked, maybe because they recognize that the shortcomings of
the state of the art should be public enough for other programmers to
discover. I am not sure how the search engines route different inputs of
words, like "cat", or "box" but my guess is that there are no ANNs or CNNs
involved in that stage of recognition. It is presumably a very old AI
lexical look-up.
Visual recognition is special because the imagery appears as a 2-dimension
field. And yet the basic capability of animals to recognize 3 dimensional
shapes from a pair of 2-D imagery sensors, and the ability of one eyed
animals to infer 3-D spaces is beyond current AI. Why? Mostly just because
it cannot be done fast enough for developers to swarm over it and for great
algorithms to emerge.
General conceptual processing requires more than basic recognition of kinds
of objects from visual fields based on a pre-selection lexical processing
of a search term.
I apologize for making such strident statements, because I value the
helpful remarks that people are making.
The mathematics of conceptual relations cannot all rely on a metric of some
sort. So how might a mathematics of discrete terms work? My idea is that it
may be possible to create a new kind of mathematics that could be based on
a profusion of mathematical computational methods. Then the problem is to
make these variants on the computational abstraction rapidly available to
be processed without having to be resolved by deep searches and trial and
error methods that would have to insure that appropriate computational
abstractions were selected for the input. My idea is that this system would
be part of a preliminary indexing system that was designed to be flexible
enough to work with late-binding or to correct for poor initial assumptions.
But to simplify, I am trying to imagine if such a mathematics is possible.
Is a mathematics of discrete objects that are not all arranged in a
feasible metric-fields possible? Is it possible for a computer program to
make rapid computations using a profuse abstraction set without going into
deep searches and relevancy dilemmas where to get started the discrete
system needs to know in advance which computational methods would be
appropriate to use before they were used to understand the input?
It may turn out that my efforts are too weak to make a difference, and that
I would not even be able to understand the work of anyone who was able to
create something similar to what I am thinking about. And maybe CNNs will
solve the contemporary problems of AI in the very near future and that my
ideas would be brittle even if I could come up with some interesting
solutions. But I think that I might only need to understand one fundamental
idea that I have yet to see in order to make some progress on this.
Jim Bromer